In fact, my very first digital camera is a Canon Powershot G7 and the very first DSLR I shot extensively was a Canon 400D. It's true, I started out mainstream and boring and crusty and safe and conservative. Photography isn't supposed to be any of those. It's supposed to be exciting and sexy. Which to be honest, shooting with a Canon did not make me feel... I did, on the other hand, feel boring, crusty, conventional and as if I was trailing a well trodden path... much like sheep do... or lemmings... before they plunge to their deaths.
I'll be focusing on the Canon 400D, which I had the opportunity to shoot with during the silly season. It's seen here with a Canon EFS 17-85mm lens. Yes, the ugly bastard below...
Before I go even further to rubbish this Japanese brand of camera toted around by one too many nooblet tourists shooting in 'auto' mode, I must say - it's a good camera.
Image quality wise, yes very good. A bit too sharp for my taste. Too much in camera processing. There are other people who do post processing you know... Colours are a bit... for a lack of a word - plasticky. Not so nice if you like punchy reds and warm colours. But I guess its aimed at nooblets... who shoot it straight out of the box. Which I guess is fine if you're coming from point and shoot, nooblet territory.

The evaluative metering does tend to underexpose a wee bit. Its a bit unpredictable at times. The same photo exposes differently even tho its shot continuously. Very very surprising and very very weird.
Shutter lag, startup is very quick. It's continuous servo is quoted at being around 3 frames per second, which is fine for capturing wee tykes who cant keep still.

Viewfinder nice and bright, LCD is good too. Although I found myself cropping off the left more than I expected. Which wasnt so cool. (Btw the pic up top is meant to be off centre... my nephews arms were included in the viewfinder, but in the final product it was chopped off!!! WTF!!)

My only gripe is it's size... which can only be described as midgety. And with the unproportional 17-85mm EFS, it just seemed ungainly most of the time. And it just doesnt have very svelte curvy lines. Just looks big and black and not alot of fun. The lack of 2 scroll wheels makes changing settings very difficult in M mode. Up till now I couldnt even find the aperture switch scroll button!! And when I asked my brother in law he didnt have a clue either, but replied that he ONLY had it for a year. Dude, if you dont know what your camera can do within a year... you might as well let someone else make better use of it... or just not get a DSLR and cheapen the art that is photography...
Conclusion?
I'd rather perform a self lobotamy than shoot a Canon DSLR again... enough said...



3 comments:
lomo! lomo! lomo!
Hey that was pretty cool to read. I mean, digital just wants to make me puke with all it's "auto-processing" bullshit anyway, but now at least I know Canons are the ones I should be puking on.
When're you getting the Nikon anyway? I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera perhaps.. Probably just a point and shoot, small, cheaper and good for parties. And probably a Canon, haha.
LOL.. yea, Canons are good 'out of the box' and no tweaking required. But not everyone is looking for that. I've got my D80 already, its just no in my hands right now. Will be having a fuckload of fun when i go pick it up in Singapore. As for compacts.. yes, Canons do a good job. But Fujifilm do an even better job. Yea they look like crap, but theyve got bigger sensors, smaller MP count and do a greater job in low light, which i expect, parties are gonna be lighted with.. heehee, have fun camera shopping!!
Post a Comment