Notices


WE WANT TO SHOOT YOU!!

Dear Readers,

A shout out to anyone who needs the services of the photography variety. Be it portraits, event coverage, or just a candid shoot, just give us a shout out on allantinghy@gmail.com.

Also, check out more pics at http://flickr.com/photos/raging_bull_inc/

If you're game, we're game!!


Cheers,
The Crew @ PID


Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Games I Play

So the holidays are over for most of you. I’m here lazing around and basking in the slow start of the year before everything goes crazy and exciting as I prepare to start life with my someone special. Meanwhile, I get to toy around with some of the gifts I got for Christmas and my birthday.

Got a couple of games that I’ve yet to finish, one or two (which means more) that I’ve not even begun (gamers call that the “pile of shame”) and you’d think I’d be snuggled up in bed playing the latest in what Microsoft and Nintendo have to offer yes (-Ed: dont forget to get Gears of War for me!!!)?

No.

See I recently purchased some Wii points for my Nintendo console which allow me to download games from past generation consoles and there’s been one game which I’ve always taken an interest to (but didn’t get a chance to play cause we didn’t have money at that time.. sniff. *plays violin music*) that combines my never ending love of video games with a hobby that I’ve always been interested in, photography.

That game is Pokemon Snap!


Not the card game version...


Now, now. Come on back. Gimme a chance here, am not drunk nor high, that's Lindsay's thing (SNAP!).

Pokemon Snap! was released on the Nintendo 64 system and players take the role of a (name him yourself cause there’s no continuity anyways) budding Photog that is tasked by Professor Oak (well known Poke-expert) to take pictures of Pokemon on an island. Seems easy? Not so.


Dragonite in flight (-Ed: you're a regular Dr Seuss..)


You’re in this capsule-vehicle thing that moves slowly (which means Britney can carry her baby in one arm safely. SNAP!) enough for you to take a picture but fast enough to let you miss a shot should you hesitate. The route is fixed but you have a 360° view of your surroundings which means that Pokemon can appear from anywhere and you have to keep a sharp lookout.

In addition to the constant moving, the Pokemon are sometimes situated far from the scope of the camera which too hinder the photo taking process. This would mean using your arsenal - which consist of food and assorted gadgets – to coax them to come closer and maybe pose for you.


No one likes the Poke-Paparazzi... or bad photographers...


At the end of the track the good prof rates the photos you’ve taken based on the size, center-ness of the subject and the posturing. After which you can proceed to the next course which has different terrain and hence different Pokemon or choose to redo the past levels in hopes of getting better pictures.


Momma always said not to pee and eat at the same spot...


The game is fun, addictive and quite ahead of its time as there were no other photog games like this. The only one close to mimicking it is the upcoming Afrika game for the Ps3 which involves taking pictures in a safari. Too bad that’s the only thing Sony can call exclusive for that game-less console right now (SNAP!).

Some things I’ve learnt about photography in the game:

1, Picture opportunities can come at any time, be sure to carry your camera wherever you go

2, Do not hesitate or you’ll miss the shot.

3, Do not panic either or it’ll turn out worse. Keep calm and a steady hand.

4, Centering is important. Though centering on something dull makes it duller (-Ed: off centre rules!!).

5, People who are hungry will pose when you give food to them. Now I know how supermodels work (SNAP!).

6, The most important thing is... practice makes perfect.


Cropped off Moltres' wing for the sixth time round...

3 comments:

castalnetta said...

thanks so much for today! totally owe you one... will buy lunch next time i see you! ;)

Orodeth Seregon said...

No worries. Am glad to be of service.

Pannis McMannis said...

now! the question in my mind is... can you make a doco about how pokemon are... ya know... "procreated"?

Photographer's Creed

This is my camera. There are many like it but this one is mine.My camera is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my camera is useless. Without my camera, I am useless. I must shoot my camera true. Before God I swear this creed: my camera and myself are defenders of the art of photography, we are the masters of composition, we are the saviors of memories. So be it, until there are no elusive shots left, but good, decent, photography. Amen.